A clever solution for those “yucky” crusts
While you might be keen to cut down your food waste, it can be tricky when you you’re raising kids. Children will often decide that certain foods are magically inedible and refuse to eat them despite your best efforts.
If you have a child who refuses to eat their sandwich crusts, don’t despair! Instead of letting them go to waste, cut them off and freeze them so you can use them to make delicious croutons for soups and salads.
Garlic salt (or other salt of your choice)
Rosemary or oregano
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C.
- Tear or chop the bread crusts into rough cubes.
- Put the cubes into a bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and your herbs.
- Shake the bowl to ensure the mix is evenly distributed.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and stir the mixture together. Keep adding oil a little at a time and stirring until the cubes are completely coated.
- Place your bread cubes on a baking tray and bake for 7 minutes.
- Turn the cubes over.
- Bake for another 7 minutes or until the cubes are golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Store in a airtight container and use within 3 days or freeze to keep for up to 6 weeks.