Our new breakfast obsession.
Warm, gooey, cheesy, eggy, custardy goodness. Is there anything more appealing on a rainy morning? This American casserole dish is a great way to feed a crowd in the morning while using up bread that’s turning stale and those odds and ends of ingredients lurking in the fridge.
One of the best things about Strata (sometimes called Stratta) is its simplicity. There’s a very basic ratio to follow:
That’s two parts bread to one part everything else. So if you’re measuring in cups that’s:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup eggs
- 1 cup cheese
- 1 cup extras
- 2 cups bread
Or if you prefer grams:
- 100g milk
- 100g eggs
- 100g cheese
- 100g extras
- 200g bread
See what I mean? Scale the recipe up and down as you need. You’re really only limited by the size of your baking dish and what ingredients you have.
- Baking dish
- Mixing bowl
- Cut up your bread into cubes and fill the bottom of your baking dish.
- Grate your cheese and sprinkle about 2/3 of it over the bread.
- In your mixing bowl, beat your eggs. Add your milk and whisk until combined.
- Now is the time to add a pinch of salt and any herbs or spices you want to use to flavour the dish.
- Pour your egg and milk mixture over the bread.
- Add your extras and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover your dish and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes. For busy brunches, your strata can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight, just remember to remove it from the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C. Bake your strata for 50 minutes, covered. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes to give it a golden top. Check your dish is done by inserting a knife or toothpick: if it comes out clean, you’re ready!
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Extras Suggestions – Remember that anything hard (or any meat product) will need to be cooked in advance.
- Sauteed onions.
- Sliced sausages.
- Worcestershire sauce.
- Sauteed spinach and garlic.
- Sliced bell peppers.
- Fresh basil.
- Ham and fried mushroom – use brie as part of your cheese mix.
- Apple (finely chopped) raisins and cinnamon. – Top with crushed walnuts and a drizzle of honey to serve. Use a very mild, creamy cheese for this.
- Christmas dinner leftovers! Shredded turkey and crumbled stuffing. Serve with cranberry or lingonberry sauce.
What’s your favourite Strata filling? Let us know in the comments.